Saturday, January 14, 2012

Our first day at sea

We left Ushuaia (the southern most city in the world) at 6:30 in the evening on Friday going through Beagle Channel, the waters were fairly calm. Beagle Channel is situated between Chile and Argentina. At ~10:30pm we sat in the observation deck as we left the channel to the open ocean and the sun was still out, only a few hours of darkness last night (which will eventually decrease to zero hours of darkness) Last night and this morning, the waters were a bit rough, as we are heading south east toward the Falkland Islands, we are hoping to get our sea legs soon. (motion sickness patch behind the ear, motion sick bands on my wrists and I took a dramamine, I'm delirious, but I am feeling better) I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't cut it working as a crab fisherman on the Deadliest Catch. We will be at sea all day today arriving at the Falkland Islands at 10:00 pm tonight. The weather today started out grey and raining. Had our first lecture, a briefing on the Falkland Islands, by the staff research scientists is this morning. Later today the ship's photographer will be giving tips on how to capture the best pictures in the conditions we will be experiencing. The sky has cleared and Cheryl and I are sitting outside on the back deck. It is absolutely beautiful, we are out in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight. Our suite is nice, we have a sliding glass door that opens to a small balcony, it's nice to be able to get fresh air. Our butler's name is Julian, a very nice guy who is taking great care of us. He asked for our drink of choice and had the room stocked with Jack Daniels and Grey Goose by the time we got back from our safety briefing. BTW, did I mention that we are going to see Penguins! (our first will be Rockhopper's, Magellanic, Gentoo and hopefully King)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds great!!! I sure hope those penguins aren't sleeping when you get there =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for you to see those PENGUINS!!! Continue you to have a great time...!

    ReplyDelete